Monday, September 15, 2008

"Come on everybody say 'alcohol'!"


This definitely sounds like a fraternity house rabble rouser chant, but alas, it came from the mouth of my 3 1/2 year old daughter. I suppose there is no context in which this cheer would seem normal from a pre-schooler, but I can assure you that the context in which it was spoken was mortifying.

It was a beautiful day at the beach (by which I mean the State Forest glacial lake-there are no oceans in Vermont). The new school year had just begun so the beach wasn't too crowded, just a few groups of moms and their kids.

After the usual unpacking process during which my daughter cases out the other kids' belongings and water toys, she took to this young boy's bodyboard and tractor and decided to drag them back and forth from one end of the beach to the other. Fine. She's not really bothering anyone, maybe I can actually read my US Weekly for a change. I'm sitting and listening to a few of these mothers talking about lesson plans and worship. Ahhh...religious homeschoolers with well behaved children.

So peaceful... just reading... John Mayer-what a cad... Rumer Willis-slightly androgynous, but she cleans up well...

The silence was soon broken by my daughter stopping in the middle of the beach, raising her arms and loudly requesting, "Come on everybody say 'alcohol'!" I'm sure they were all very impressed at the way I'm raising my daughter. We worship at a different altar.

1 comment:

Noah said...

This is without a doubt, one of my favorite stories of all time...